Responsible Care® Policy
PCS regards the Health and Safety of our employees, contractors, customers, distributors, suppliers, neighbours, the Public and protection of the Environment as the top priority in its operations. PCS is committed to:
- Health: ensure a healthy workplace, by preventing occupational health hazards
- Safety: ensure a safe workplace, by preventing injuries, incidents, property damage and excel in process safety management
- Environment: minimise the impact of its activities, products and services on the environment, by using material and energy efficiently, minimising waste, and preventing pollution by reducing emission to air, discharge to water and to soil to the practical minimum
- Products: ensure a clear commitment of product stewardship to minimise any impact of our products throughout their life cycle
These are done through a continual improvement process of Plan-Do-Check-Act Cycle and also by subscribing to the Responsible Care® principles for the management system in production, handling, use, transport and disposal of products that PCS produces through:
- allocating sufficient resources to develop, operate and maintain the HSE Management System
- openness to employees, contractors, customers, distributors, suppliers, officials and the community
- assurance of Health, Safety and the Environment (HSE) related quality and safety of our products and processes
- providing feedback to and cooperation with the Government and relevant Bodies regarding Singapore HSE legal framework and Responsible Care® practices
- assisting our contractors, customers and distributors to understand the hazards of our products
- sharing of HSE experience and offering HSE assistance to others including suppliers, neighbours and the Public
These are also done by:
- regarding HSE as a direct line management responsibility
- communicating the appropriate HSE consideration to contractors, customers and distributors
- maintaining good customer relationship to foster safe use and handling of our products
- assisting customers and distributors in the transmission of product stewardship information
- ensuring compliance with applicable legal and other requirements
- setting targets for improvement, measurement, benchmarking, appraisal and performance reporting
- training and motivating employees and contractors to enhance HSE awareness and to promote best HSE practices
- carrying out incident investigation and taking measures to prevent recurrence
- requesting contractors working at PCS to adopt the same HSE principles of this policy
- having an effective emergency response system to minimise any property and HSE damage arising from an emergency situation
Responsible Care® Codes Of Practice
There are six Codes of Practice:
- Community Awareness & Emergency Response
We openly communicate with the community about safety, health and the environmental aspects of our plant operations. We ensure that each facility has an emergency preparedness and can respond rapidly and effectively to emergencies.
We seek to prevent harm to the public or environment posed by the storage, handling, and transportation of chemicals by evaluating and eliminating risks and providing emergency response support in the event of a chemical distribution emergency.
- Employee Health & Safety
We identify and assess hazards, prevent unsafe conditions and foster training and communications in order to protect the health and safety of those who work or visit our facilities.
- Pollution Prevention
Our goal is to reduce or even eliminate waste materials and emissions at our plants by improving processes and procedures and by strict operational controls.
- Process Safety
We strive to prevent accidents and hazardous situations by ensuring that our facilities are designed, built, operated and maintained according to sound practices, and reviewed periodically for conformance.
- Product Stewardship
We make health, safety and environmental protection a priority in the development of new products and processes so that the chemicals we produce can be manufactured, transported, used and disposed of safely.